Button Batteries Are Dangerous To Kids

Nowadays it’s all too common to have all sorts of battery-operated toys, phones, cameras, and such in your house. What might happen if your child came across a button battery? These batteries can be very harmful to your child. The article below is from www.safekids.org and explains the complications if a button battery is ingested.

Did You Know
  • The coin-sized batteries children swallow come from many devices, most often mini remote controls.  Other places you may them are: singing greeting cards, watches, bathroom scales, and flameless candles.
  • It takes as little as two hours to cause severe burns once a coin-sized lithium battery has been s wallowed.
  • Once burning begins, damage can continue even after the battery is removed.
  • Kids can still breathe with the coin lithium battery in their throat. It may not be obvious at first that something is wrong.
  • Repairing the damage is painful and can require multiple surgeries.
  • The batteries can become lodged in the throat, burning the esophogus.
  • In 2010 alone, more than 3,400 swallowing cases were reported in the U.S.  19 children sustained life-threatening or debilitating injuries and others died!

Keeping Your Kids Safe

Electronic devices are part of daily life. It only takes a second for your toddler to get hold of one and put in his mouth.  Here are a few easy tips for you to follow to protect your kids from button battery-related injuries.

Top Tips for Battery Safety
  • SEARCH your home, and any place your child goes, for gadgets that may contain coin lithium batteries.
  • SECURE coin lithium battery-controlled devices out of sight and reach of children and keep loose batteries locked away.
  • SHARE this life-saving information with caregivers, friends, family members and sitters.
In Case of Emergency

Keeping these batteries out of reach and secured in devices is key, but if a child swallows a battery, parents and caregivers should follow these steps:

  • Go to the emergency room immediately. Tell doctors and nurses that your child may have swallowed a battery. If possible, provide the medical team with the identification number found on the battery’s package.
  • Do not let the child eat or drink until a chest x-ray can determine if a battery is present.
  • Do not induce vomiting.
  • Call the National Battery Ingestion Hotline at 202-625-3333 for additional treatment information.

By Gret Boyd

 

Comments are closed.

WP Like Button Plugin by Free WordPress Templates