Poison Prevention Tips

Here’s a wonderful article from www.safekids.org. It contains tips and information that every parent should be aware of.

Store potentially poisonous household products and medications locked out of your child’s sight and reach.
  • Read labels to find out what is poisonous. Unsafe household products include toilet cleaners, bleach, oven cleaners and dishwasher products. Other potential hazards include medicines, makeup, plants, toys, pesticides, art supplies and alcohol.
  • Never leave poisonous products unattended while in use. Many incidents happen when adults are distracted for a moment on the phone or at the door.
  • Be aware of poisons that may be in your handbag. Store handbags out of the reach of young children.
  • Do not mix cleaning products.
  • Buy child-resistant packages when available.
  • Keep products in their original packages to avoid confusion.
  • Use child safety locks on cabinets where you have stored poisonous items.
Learn the toll-free Nationwide Poison Control Center number (1-800-222-1222) or keep it near every phone.
  • If you suspect your child has been poisoned, take the product to the phone and call 1-800-222-1222If your child has collapsed or is not breathing, call 911.
  • Poison control centers offer fast, free, confidential help in English and Spanish. Most poisonings are resolved over the phone. The number works from anywhere in the United States 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Follow the operator’s instructions.
  • Do not make the child vomit or give him anything unless directed.
Store medications out of child’s sight and reach and be safe when administering medicines to your children.
Protect your children from other poisons that may be present in your home such as lead or carbon monoxide.
Lead:
  • Test homes built before 1978 for lead-based paint. If lead hazards are identified, test your child for lead exposure and hire a professional to control and remove lead sources safely.
  • Make sure your child does not have access to peeling paint or chewable surfaces painted with lead-based paint.
  • Frequently wash your child’s hands, face, toys and pacifiers to reduce the risk of your child coming into contact with lead or lead-contaminated dust.
  • Take the recommended steps to eliminate any sources of lead in recalled consumer products such as toys or cookware.
  • Check the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Web site at www.cpsc.gov to obtain information on product recalls.
Carbon Monoxide:
  • Install a CO alarm outside every sleeping area and on every level of your home.
  • Place CO alarms at least 15 feet away from every fuel-burning appliance to reduce the number of nuisance alarms.
  • Test alarms every month and replace them every 5 years.
  • Make sure alarms can be heard when you test them and practice an escape plan with your entire family.
  • Have all gas, oil or coal burning appliances inspected by a technician every year to ensure they are working correctly and are properly ventilated.
  • Never use a stove for heating.
  • Do not use a grill, generator or camping stove inside your home, garage or near a window.
  • Never leave a car, SUV, or motorcycle engine running inside a garage, even if the garage door is open.
  • CO can accumulate anywhere in or around your boat, so install a CO alarm on your motorboat.
 Oregon Poison Center
For All Poison Emergencies & Information Call 1-800-222-1222

Oregon Health & Science University
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd
Portland, OR 97239

Educational Materials Requests: Call 503-494-7799

Comments are closed.

WP Like Button Plugin by Free WordPress Templates